Microsoft plans to release new version of Dynamics NAV every year and cumulative updates(CU) every month for the latest version. With this, partners may need to apply the cumulative updates to the NAV databases more often to keeherep the database up to date.
A Cumulative Update is a cumulative set of files that includes all hotfixes and regulatory features that have been released for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
You can find all the released cumulative updates in PartnerSource. For NAV 2015, you can find the list of released cumulative updates here
You should always install the latest Cumulative update available.
In this blog post, I will show how to apply the cumulative updates to NAV database. I will be applying Cumulative Update 9 (Build No. 41779) to my Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 database.
Select the latest CU available and you can view the list of platform fixes and application fixes.
– Click on View and download the hotfix at the top of the page
Request for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV update and hyperlink will be sent to you in an e-mail. You can use the hyperlink to download the Microsoft Dynamics NAV hotfix or the update files.
– The downloaded CU will have files separated into APPLICATION and DVD
Applying Application Hotfix: Open the NAV 2015 development environment and import the CUObjects.<Locale>.<Build No.>.fob file available in the APPLICATION folder.
Modified Database: If your database is modified/customized, you need to replace the objects that have not been modified. Use the CUObjects.<Locale>.<Build No.>.txt file to compare and merge the cumulative update objects with the objects in your database that have been modified Or, you may use the Changelog.<Locale>.<Build No.>.txt file to manually apply the changes to the objects in your database.
If a table in the cumulative update has a new field and the same table in your database has been modified, use the Merge: Existing<-New or the Merge: New<-Existing options in the Import Worksheet window to import the new fields. For more information, see Options for Merging Objects.
Unmodified database: If your database is unmodified, you can replace all the objects and import it into your database directly.
Applying Platform Hotfix:
Microsoft Dynamics NAV platform can be installed by one of the following methods:
- Use the installation program
- Un-install current client or server
- Open the DVD folder available in the latest cumulative update and run the setup.exe
- Connect to the database
- Manually patch the Microsoft Dynamics NAV platform
- See the Manual Patching Process section
- Use the ClickOnceInstaller (Web Client and Windows Client only)
- For more information, see Deploying Microsoft Dynamics NAV Using ClickOnce
In this blog, Ill explain how we can create the Hotfix directories and manually apply the patch.
Applying the platform hotfix becomes easier if we have the hotfix directories from the latest cumulative update. To create hotfix directories, follow the steps below.
- Download the Copy-UpdateFilesToBatchDirectory.ps1 file from here and save it on your local machine.
- Unzip the DVD zip file from the Cumulative Update to a local folder
- Open NAV Administration Shell or Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator
- Run the command Import-Module DIRECTORY\Copy-UpdateFilesToBatchDirectory.ps1. (Here DIRECTORY is where the downloaded file is saved.)
- Run the command Copy-UpdateFilesToBatchDirectory -DvdDirectory DVDDIRECTORY -BatchDirectory BATCHDIRECTORY
- Once the command is successfully run, you will have below result which confirms that the new directories are created at the specified location (BATCHDIRECTORY)
- Newly created folders are as shown below:
Next, we need to copy all the files from these newly created directories and paste them in the right place as specified below.
- Stop the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service
- Copy all the files under NST folder and paste (Overwrite existing files) them into Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server installation directory. By default it is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\<80>\Service
- Start the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service
- Close the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client
- Copy all the files in RTC folder and paste (Overwrite existing files) them into Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client installation directory. By default it is C:\Program Files (x64)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\<80>\RoleTailored Client
- WEB CLIENT
- Close the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web client.
- Copy all the files in WEB CLIENT folder and paste (Overwrite existing files) them into Microsoft Dynamics NAV web client installation directory. By default it is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\<80>\Web Client
You need to paste files from remaining folders as well. Please refer to the How to install a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 cumulative update section on the cumulative update page in PartnerSource.
After, completing all the steps, you can find the new build number in NAV development environment, click on Help, About Microsoft Dynamics NAV development environment.